Considering the talent and contributions coming from the continent of Africa the five slots it currently has up until the 2022 World Cup is not adequate, so this decision is massive for the future of African teams.
- Asia: 8 direct slots – increased from 4.5 (currently 46 members)
- Africa: 9 direct slots – increased from 5 (currently 54 members)
- North and central America: 6 direct slots – increased from 3.5 (currently 34 members)
- South America: 6 direct slots – increased from 4.5 (currently 10 members)
- Oceania: 1 direct slot – increased from 0.5 (currently 11 members)
- Europe: 16 direct slots – increased from 13 (currently 55 members)
- Finaltwo places in 2026 decided by six-team play-offs
A tenth African country will take part in a six-nation play-off tournament to decide the last two spots.