The Pescara midfielder, Sulley Muntari, who played for Portsmouth in the 2007-08 season, left the field after being booked in last Sunday’s Serie A game at Cagliari for complaining of being racially abused. He fought back and had the one-match ban he received after protesting against racist abuse overturned.
Sulley Muntari has said via Twitter that he is determined to keep fighting racism after his suspension for refusing to play in a match in which he was racially abused was overturned.
I am determined to fight #racism. Football should inspire respect for one race – the human race.👊🏿
— Sulley Muntari (@MuntariOfficial) May 6, 2017
Muntari had earlier said that he was “treated like a criminal” by the Italian football authorities after he was banned for complaining about recent racist abuse. In a statement released by FIFPro, the world players’ union, he says:
“I feel that someone has finally listened and heard me”
“I hope this is a turning point in Italy and shows what it means to stand up for your rights,” said Muntari, 32.
The rescinding of the ban means Muntari can play for Pescara against Crotone this weekend. His statement goes on to say:
“I feel that someone has finally listened to me. The last few days have been very hard for me. I have felt angry and isolated.
“I was being treated like a criminal. How could I be punished when I was the victim of racism?
“I hope my case can help so that other footballers do not suffer like me.”
He later thanked all the people who had helped him overturn the ban
— FIFPro (@FIFPro) May 5, 2017